Security Guard Advice
Security guards are always in demand, but to land the job you’ll need to show you’re experienced, dependable, and have a strong cover letter. With the cover letter examples we’ve created, it’s easier than ever to put together your own security guard cover letter in no time. Just click on any of the examples below, and use the pre-written text samples as a guide in crafting your cover letter. Good security guards are needed: be ready to get the job with a winning cover letter!
Cover Letter Tips for Security Guard
These days, landing a job as a Security Guard takes more than responding to a help wanted ad. It takes interview preparation, networking, skill building and more. Make every step count in your job hunt with these tips.
1. Get in through the backdoor. In other words, you need to network with professionals working in your desired field. You can get ahead of the faceless applicant pool by directly introducing yourself to people who can get your cover letter to the top of the pile.
2. Join the local chapter of a professional organization. Oftentimes, the members are working professionals in your area. They are more than likely able to let you know of job openings or introduce you to key people who make hiring decisions.
3. Take classes that are in line with your career goals. It builds up your cover letter and your skill set.
4. Read and research the companies that you are applying to. Not only does it help you customize your application and cover letter for the company, it can help you determine whether the company will be a good cultural fit for you.
5. Be confident in proving your worth. Job seekers must be able to market themselves. You need to show through your cover letter and interview that you offer skills better than the other candidates.
Security Guard Job Seeking Tips
In a competitive job market, employers are looking for more than the right fit: they want someone who fits like a glove. Convince employers of your worth through your cover letter. Here are a few cover letter tips that can help you get your foot in the door and well on your way toward snagging a job as a Security Guard.
1. Quantify your work. Numbers tell a story, especially when it comes to your accomplishments. Statistics, numbers and percentages catch the attention of potential employers.
2. Make your cover letter clean and readable. Many websites offer free templates to help you get started on a readable layout.
3. Emphasize experience or skills that you want to pursue in the future.
4. When seeking to change careers, make sure to highlight transferrable skills.
5. Use strong verbs like collaborated;” they help to catch the attention of the hiring manager.
Security guard cover letters are written to match the specificity and authority of the resumes they mirror. Security guard resumes can range from simple mall security to high-level, top-secret clearance security at government facilities. As mentioned on the security officer sample page this industry groups most workers into four different categories. Each category’s cover letter will be slightly different from the other. Here is how they can vary:
Build My Free Cover Letter Now >>
Residential cover letters will focus more on experiences, particularly years in the industry as listing employers is probably not very likely possible do to confidentiality agreements with previous clients.
Corporate security cover letters, unlike residential letters have the ability to highlight previous employers names, with larger corporations garnering more respect with industry HRs.
Government security cover letters are faced with a challenge similar to residential security letters as listing employers, job duties and locations may not always be legally possible.
Since most personal security professionals work for larger contractor agencies mentioning employers is possible. These cover letters will focus on more personal skills than specific duties as well.
Listing personal skills is a key part of the security cover letter. Skills like combat skills, CPR and evasive driving are all very valuable.
(Click on the thumbnail below for more detail)
Click Here to Download Our
Security Guard CL Templates
SEE ALSO> Thank You Letter Writing Guide
Dear Mr. /Mrs. /Ms. (Manager’s Name)
Your company recently advertised on the Website’s Name website for a Head Security Officer. Kindly accept this application from a highly resourceful and skilled professional who is proficient in driving efficiencies, devising safety, security, and loss prevention procedures, and enhancing existing company assets.
I am skilled in converting conflict scenarios into positive outcomes through effective problem-solving and complaint handing skills. Currently employed with Carter-William Hospital as the Head Security Officer, I am responsible for monitoring and ensuring the safety of the 400+ room hospital compound. I have successfully managed the scheduling for the securing team which has led to an average payroll saving of $4000. I am pleased to state that my experience in handling emergency situations and theft prevention is above par with your expectations. Additionally, the training that I have received has provided me with the knowledge to cope with unforeseen threats.
To further support your base requirements, I can bring an enthusiastic and perspective to this position. I take direction well, but am also capable of working independently.
My resume is enclosed for your consideration. I firmly believe that I would be an asset to your team and would very much appreciate the opportunity to discuss how my experience and certifications could contribute to your firm.
Thank you for your time and consideration.
T: Phone number
E: email address
As you can see the above cover letter sample utilizes key information in paragraph form and not bullet points. Both are acceptable however if the previous security employer must remain anonymous then writing skills and qualifications in short, non-overly descriptive bullet form might be best.
Always remember your previous employers privacy and exercise discretion when mentioning work experience on future job applications.
SEE ALSO> Learn How To Write your Resume
For more security cover letter information:
- DayJob Security Guard Cover Letter
- Airport Security Cover Letter